Saturday, July 2, 2011

Watermelon & Jicama Salad

The other day while running to Whole Foods on my lunch break and feeling adventurous, I scooped up a side I'd never tried before. The watermelon looked too juicy to pass up, and with cilantro being one of my herb obsessions, I grabbed a deli box and started fillin'. I can't tell you how delightfully surprised I was when I got back to the office and sampled the result of my impulse. The bite of red onion paired with the watermelon's natural sweetness was only exhilarated by the addition of the indescribable cilantro tang. I imagine the dish piled high in a delicate, white porcelain bowl, upon an outdoor candlelit tabletop, enjoyed by smiling faces and warm embraces :)




Follow Me:
  • 2 pounds watermelon
  • 1 pound jicama
  • 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
  • 2 limes, juiced
  • Pinch of salt
  • Dash of pepper
  • 1 red onion, chopped (or to taste)
Peel and cut watermelon into bite-sized chunks. Peel the jicama root and slice into oversized matchsticks. In a large bowl, toss together the melon, red onion and jicama with the cilantro & lime juice, add a sprinkle of salt & pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment